Thanks to your feedback, we’re experimenting with new community features. We’ll be testing a weekly round-table analysis of regional tech news and trends that is builder-centric, authentic and no-BS starting in January. Email us recommendations for any Indonesian or Vietnamese co-hosts that may be a good fit.
For founders leaving their startups to a new chapter in their lives or planning to wind down their teams, we’ll be hosting the Phoenix virtual offsite on January 14th, Saturday, 2-5 PM SGT. Reflections from founders who have transitioned earlier, personal group coaching and professional career advice. Pro bono and 100% confidential. Sign up here at www.jeremyau.com/join and feel free to forward this to folks who may be interested.
Most Popular Episodes
- Chia Jeng Yang: FTX Meltdown vs. SE Asia Crypto, Blockchain Regulators & Web3 Founder Advice: Chia at Pantera Capital discusses how Southeast Asia is surprisingly connected to the three biggest crypto implosions over the past year: FTX, Three Arrows Capital and Terra. We advise on the future of Web3 for builders and investors, while drawing on examples like Singapore’s role in the fraud-driven collapse of Barings Bank, England’s second oldest merchant bank and following regulatory reaction.
- Goh Wei Choon: Founding Woke Salaryman, Efficient Art vs. Algorithms (Nuance vs. Neutrality) & Ego in Fear: The desire to find the stories within complex topics drove Wei Choon to co-found The Woke Salaryman, Southeast Asia’s #1 comic strip on personal finance. He describes the craft of creating efficient art suited for ever-changing social media algorithms, and bridging opposing points of view in the cancel culture era.
- Amanda Cua: Creator Monetization & Challenges, Founding Backscoop & Skipping University Criticism: Amanda treaded the unconventional path of skipping college to found Backscoop, a Philippines-based newsletter about Southeast Asian startups. She shares insights about balancing monetization and providing non-paywalled content through advertisements.
- Arne Jeroschewski: McKinsey Founder Untraining, Ecommerce Logistics Myths & Bravery Hindsight: Management consultants must learn to be both more granular and decisive across the whole business in order to transform into successful tech leaders. Jakarta-based Arne founded Parcel Perform, the leading data and delivery experience platform for businesses worldwide, and dives into the many myths of ecommerce logistics.
- Yuying Deng: Overcoming Entrepreneurial Failure, Second-Time Founder Learnings & Parenting Reflections: Yuying talks about learning from operating a family business and mistakes from her first startup. She goes on to found her second startup Esevel, a full-stack, real-time IT platform that manages company devices across Asia, which was funded by Iterative.vc
Valerie Vu successfully raised US$8 million for her new VC firm Ansible Ventures, which was featured in Tech in Asia. Check out her podcasts sharing her journey to the VC ecosystem and learning how to launch a podcast.
“I have the utmost respect for people who fail because by going through all the stories of people brave enough to share their journeys, I learned what it took to make a business work and derail it. That fear is real. Fear keeps you alive, it stops you from being just completely reckless. So you need it.”